Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Cell Phone Debate

This entry is for you Claudia in case you decide to visit our page again. It was great to here from you by the way. We miss you guys.


I ended my last entry with the query, "Time for a cell phone? maybe "
I think this deserves a little clarification. You see, I have been a non-cell phone user my entire life. I don't own one and have had no desire to own one. I'm with ya Claudia, let's get back to the good old days where people actually spoke to each other face to face.
Chet has a cell phone that he brings to work with him. He bought it when I was prego this last time in case I went into labor during the day ( has yet to happen that way). We never use the thing. But in the past two weeks, I have had the school try and contact me three times while I was away from the home. And away for the entire day I might add. So dilemma! do I finally buckle down and succumb to the wireless world, or remain a naive, electronically challenged mother of three, who hopes to be home when a school emergency occurs.
I have no intention of giving my children cell phones until well into their teen years ( If then), and Chet needs his since it is the only way to contact him in case of an emergency ( you can only call in to his supervisor, and she works minimal hours).
I have lasted this long and survived just fine. Oh well, What is a stubborn , red head to do!

7 comments:

Krista said...

I don't think it's really a question - you have kids in school, you need to be available for those calls sweetheart.
Obviously you haven't "survived just fine" if you've been unavailable THREE times in TWO weeks.
What if your kid had been attacked by bees? Or fallen and broken their arm? Or ... or ... or? See what I'm saying?
It's not a debate, honey. It's a need.
In the Portland area Cricket has decent rates.
Check it out.

m13limbo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
m13limbo said...

My theory on cell phones (and jackets and everything else) is "It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Dawn Walterscheid said...

Ok I CANNOT believe that you don't have a cell phone! I don't know what I would do with out my phone, I am scared to even think about it. I love my phone for a few reasons 1. We use ours for long distance calls because all of our family are with the same provider. 2. It is one of the only ways that I can talk to my man during the day.
3. If my kids go to a friends I can give them the phone to call me if needed. (no my kids do not have their own phone not till they can pay for it)
4. EMERGENCIES! I have been broken down and thanked my lucky stars that I had it so I could call my man. Plus you never know when something will happen.
There are many, many more reasons why you should have one these are just a few.

P.S It is a long story but I need your Address for Christmas cards this year so if you could e-mail it to me that would be great. jdaaaa@hotmail.com

mama said...

You are funny --- and I will vote that you can have one --- just not your daughter. I get so tired of going to town and having every college student in Rexburg on their phones --- while we are all "shopping together." I think "What is so blasted important that you can't wait until you get back out in your car?" i DON'T want to hear their conversations. Don't get me started --- on the subject ! ! ! And the TEXTING --- well that's another sore spot --- in Sacrament Meeting? --- come on people.
Funny that WE raised 9 children without cell phones ---and they are all still alive --- AMAZING. I guess we live in a different world today. Use them if you really need them --- and keep them put away when you don't. In fact --- one funny story is --- (AND he survived) --- Jim needed to call home from High school --- they wouldn't let him use the office phone --- so he called me collect from the pay phone. The High school is about 4 miles from our home. I thought it quite unique. Way to go Jim! ! !

jamie t. said...

We recently got rid of our cell phones and we didn't die. There are a few times that I wish we had them but overall, not a bit deal. I can see why you would want one with the school being able to get ahold of you. We haven't experienced that yet. Do they have an alternate number they could call if something serious happened. (Like a broken arm) The muddy pants was not an emergency! She'll learn to stay out of puddles if she doesn't want to wear boys pants the rest of the day! :)

You could always get a really low minutes plan that you have for only emergencies. That is what we've considered for vacations and things when we're on the road.

Andy said...

Holy Cow!! Well if it isn't the long lost Bui's, all grown up and looking so big. Except for Chet of course. He is still miniature! Your kids are SO cute, I can't believe how fast they have grown up. Life goes by way to fast, I can't even imagine what it will be like when I have my own.

Random to finally catch back up with you guys. Just the other day, my wife and I were eating a slice of pizza at Costco in Anchorage and the guy next to me was like, "ANDY"? and I turned and it was Brandt from Broulims! Crazy little world.

Anyway, I am not up on how all this blogging works, but my wife and I have a link on Steve's blog so you should check it out or add it to yours, or however you do that. Good to see you guys again. Hope all is going well.

Oh, and Nancy, it's time to get a cell phone!! It'll make many things a lot easier. Necessary evil really. haha