Saturday, February 7, 2009

A Burning within

Today I was extremely blessed to be able to attend another baptism. Misty and Lilly Lewis, investigators in the Quatama Ward, were baptized at 1:00 this afternoon.

These were the Second and third baptism for the Quatama Ward in the last two weeks. We are truly blessed to have an active investigator pool in the ward. I have been serving as a ward missionary for nearly two years now. It is a calling that I have loved, learned from, been inspired by, and at times has brought frustration, heartache, and disappointment. I will admit that it is not easy trying to juggle, three kids, a husband that works until 8:00 pm, teaching investigators with the missionaries several times a week, plus teaching new member discussions with my fantastic companion to 4 different women on a weekly basis. My free time has been non-existent. And yet, I have been deeply blessed.

When you look into the eyes of a newly baptized member of the church, your heart just burns. They radiate, joy, and hope. Who wouldn't want to be around that several times a week. The Elders in our Ward, Elder Wray and Elder Wood are two extraordinary young men. They serve in Faith. They carry with them strength, obedience, and down right determination. Elder Wood returns home on Thursday, and he will be missed.

I need to express gratitude to my Heavenly Father, for entrusting with me these new, bright souls to the church, and allowing me to be taught by the spirit and to teach with the spirit. My testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ has been strengthened and edified. I can now say, that I have served a full time mission for the church. That is how it feels. And I will continue to serve, in whatever capacity my Father needs me.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Another blog I read had this sentiment on a card:

"Dare to reach out your hand into the darkness and pull another hand into the Light." - Norman Rice

I immediately thought of you and your love for the people you have met and taught. Your smile says it all!

Kristy E.B. said...

Thanks for sharing. Your talk on the Holy Ghost was excellent and it was wonderful to feel the spirit and the feeling of new beginnings at the baptism!

Rachel said...

I am so glad you and your family have been able to accomodate the needs of our ward at this time. It is so wonderful to see new members in gospel essentials. I actually wished you were there today b/c I know you would have had the perfect answer (and smile)to a comment Freeman (I'm not sure if you know him) made. You are a great missionary and a wonderful example to others.

BTW, I did read your comment about tehse baptisms but we had made plans with Masiey to do something special weeks ago and I couldn't break them. Chad had to miss the b-ball game and he heard there was a good turn out. I don't know if Chet made it or not but the numbers were promising.

Roo and Gina said...

That is awesome to hear that you are a ward missionary. I could use you and your enthusiasm in my ward missionary group. I have been our ward mission leader for the past 3 years and all of the feelings and thoughts you shared I also echo. There isn't a finer work in the world or a more pleasant feeling than watching someone make the commitment to follow the Lord into the waters of baptism. I'm so glad to read your thoughts of what you're going through as a missionary.