Sunday, September 28, 2008

Family Time

Every so often a family experiences a weekend that stands out over the rest. There really was nothing extra spectacular about what we did this weekend, and yet is had a feeling of peace. It is those quiet, do nothing days that seem to bring the best memories.

Saturday brought sunny skies and soaring temperatures. Peyton spent the entire day outside playing with neighbourhood friends, but Alyssa was trapped inside, the consequence of a bad decision made the day before. I was surprised to see that she took her punishment rather well. She quickly completed her Saturday chores, did her 40 minutes of reading, and even took the time to help me empty the dishwasher. But I think the biggest surprise of the day, came when she asked if we could play piano together. Alyssa sadly lost her piano teacher this last spring when their family moved to Colorado ( We love you and miss you Heidi), Alyssa has had a hard time getting back into piano. We haven't been able to find a new teacher for her and I feared that glorious new talent would soon be lost. However, Alyssa quickly slipped right back into her determined self. We spent upwards of two hours playing duets, and breaking out in song. Then she scrambled upstairs and grabbed the song list for the upcoming primary program at church. I then played the piano while she sang through the complete list of songs. I don't think there is anything that can bring the spirit into a home faster then the playing of appropriate and reflective music. The rest of the day was spent jumping on the trampoline (my calves are feeling it today) and preparing a meal for the missionaries.
Today looks to be just as joyous. As I watch my children practicing their speaking parts in the kitchen for the primary program, I feel grateful and blessed to have the gospel in my life, and a family who loves each other.

1 comment:

runningfan said...

I'm happy to hear that Alyssa still loves the piano! Keep at it, girl!