Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I am a "CANMERICAN"

I have decided to reclaim my identity. No more of this "I am a citizen of Canada, but a permanent resident of the United States" That is far to long of a statement to make every time someone asks me where I am from. So from now on I will proudly claim "I am a CANMERICAN". I truly believe there are enough of us residing in the States to merit such a phrase.

It is strange how once you have lived in a new country long enough, you seem to lose who you are. When I visit my relatives in Canada they say that I talk funny now. When I come back home to the States, my friends tell me that I sound funny. You see! I sound like a CANMERICAN!

I will forever call items by American and Canadian names. I will always spell words the American and Canadian way. So for your future reference. If you see me spell, or hear me say the following things, DO NOT be alarmed.

Theater - Theatre
Center - Centre
Neighbor - Neighbour

Romen Noodles - Ichiban
Markers - Felts
Colored Pencils - Pencil Crayons
Garbage Disposal - Garbirator

There is one phrase I have successfuly combined. Americans are known to say HUH! after there sentences, Canadians of course the ever popular EH! I choose to seek even ground, and now say HEY!

I just can't help myself. I am a CANMERICAN. Right now I am working on a theme song for all those like me. It is sung to the combined melodies of Yankee Doodle and Frare Jacques. I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

Krista said...

I can't stop giggling. How true, how stinking true! I'm told by EVERYONE that I talk funny. I love that flag ... I'm posting it on my blog ... hope you don't mind ;)

Sharp family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sharp family said...

That was funny! I loved it! Trevor's mom is from Canada and I hear things in her speech that make it show. I love it!